Are you looking to get out of the Epic Games Fortnite Battle Royale giant? Want to try something new and refreshing that doesn’t carry a heavy tag (Call of Duty Blackout) – maybe Apex Legends is the next game for you. EA Games is offering a ‘play for free’ game that they advertise as ‘the next evolution of battle royale’ where 60 players jump into a match and compete for victory.
APEX Legends boasts innovative combat techniques where you can respawn your fallen squad-mates, use Smart Comms, and utilize a ‘intelligent inventory’.
From the start you will have a full roster of Legends you can pick from which hold certain special abilities to help you and your squad achieve your victory on the APEX Legends world – check them out below:
- Tactical Ability: Smoke Launcher
- High-Velocity smoke canister that creates a smoke wall when launched.
- Passive Ability: Double Time
- Taking fire while sprinting makes you move faster briefly.
- Ultimate Ability: Rolling Thunder
- Call in an artillery strike.
- Tactical Ability: Eye of the Allfather
- Briefly reveal hidden enemies, traps, clues.
- Passive Ability: Tracker
- See tracks of your enemies.
- Ultimate Ability: Beast of the Hunt
- Enhance your senses – move faster and highlight your prey.
- Tactical Ability: Nox Gas Trap
- Release canisters of Nox gas that are triggered when shot or by enemies.
- Passive Ability: Nox Vision
- See enemies through your gas.
- Ultimate Ability: Nox Gas Grenade
- Covers a large area in Nox gas.
- Tactical Ability: Dome of Protection
- Throw down a dome-shield that blocks attacks for 15 seconds.
- Passive Ability: Gun Shield
- Aiming down sights deploys a gun shield that will block incoming fire.
- Ultimate Ability: Defensive Bombardment
- Call in a concentrated mortar strike on a position you mark.
- Tactical Ability: Doc Heal Drone
- Call in your Drone of Compassion to heal nearby teammates.
- Passive Ability: Combat Medic
- Revive knocked down teammates faster while protected by a shield wall – healing items are used 25% faster.
- Ultimate Ability: Care Package
- Call in a drop pod full of high-quality defensive gear.
- Tactical Ability: Psyche Out
- Send out a holographic decoy to confuse the enemy.
- Passive Ability: Encore!
- Automatically drop a decoy and cloak for five seconds when knocked down.
- Ultimate Ability: Vanishing Act
- Deploy a team of decoys to distract enemies while you cloak.
- Tactical Ability: Grappling Hook
- Grapple to get to out-of-reach places.
- Passive Ability: Insider Knowledge
- Scan a survey beacon to reveal the ring’s next location.
- Ultimate Ability: Zipline Gun
- Create a zipline for everyone to use.
- Tactical Ability: Into the Void
- Reposition quickly through the safety of a void space, avoid all damage.
- Passive Ability: Voices from the Void
- A voice warns you when danger approaches. As far as you can tell, the voice is on your side.
- Ultimate Ability: Dimensional Rift
- Link two locations with portals for 60 seconds, allows your entire team to use them.
This surprise launch by Titanfall creator Respawn Entertainment, who are a subsidiary of the mega game publisher Electronic Arts, launched APEX Legends on February 4th, 2019 – and probably the most surprising thing about it is that it is completely free. If you’re a fan of EA and the games they publish, you’d know that they follow a pretty standard approach when releasing games – they very rarely, if ever, produce games that are free and come without multi-million dollar advertisements and marketing schemes. It is clear that EA is looking to bust into the battle royale super saturated market. Epic Games’ Fortnite has had and is still pursuing tremendous success in their platform of ‘free to play’ while accruing massive amounts of profit through in-game purchases that are only for aesthetic and not pay to win purposes.
From our POV – it looks like APEX Legends takes on all of the great mechanics, items, and aesthetics of the major battle royale games and pushes them into one, action packed battle royale environment. APEX Legends is available for PC, Playstation 4, and XBOX One. Are you gonna spawn in?
Check out more APEX Legends on the EA site here.